Dorset House is a happy, friendly, caring school for boys and girls, aged between 4 and 13, based on Christian
principles with a family centred ethos. Our school is a structured but loving environment with a fine reputation for
giving each individual the opportunity to experience all areas of the broad curriculum. The school has a rigorous
approach to academic achievement whilst maintaining its reputation for sporting, musical and creative endeavour.
Dorset House aims to answer individual educational needs and to inspire pupils with a desire to learn. These aims
are achieved through our stimulating, varied and balanced curriculum in which independent learning skills are
emphasised and where children are given the confidence to exceed their expectations.
We believe that the challenges offered by Dorset House prepare our children for, and enable them to, embrace the
opportunities that lie ahead and prepare them well for the next stage in their education.
Pupils are mostly local boys and girls. Dorset House is predominantly a day school although many children choose to
board (flexi) in Years 4 through to 8.
The key aims of Dorset House are to:
- Inspire children through a challenging approach to academic learning: we provide each pupil with a stable, supportive and structured academic environment in which they feel encouraged to learn and make excellent progress. Children are also given a wide range of opportunities to experience success and develop self-confidence through the curriculum
- Foster a ‘can-do’ ethos across the school community and give opportunities for every child to find their niche and experience success by providing sporting, music, artistic and extra-curricular activities, together with a robust leadership programme
- Ensure that every child’s social and academic progress is supported by meeting the needs of each child as an individual – we provide for the full range of our non-selected pupils
- Ensure that our pupils value their own and other cultures and we help them to grow emotionally and spiritually by promoting courtesy, good conduct, an ability to relate well to others and an appreciation of British values
- Ensure a smooth transition to senior school by preparing our pupils for their next school and the world beyond Dorset House
- Maintain our valued partnership between home and school through an ‘open door’ policy and effective communication